UNDA Bateman's Courtyard Amenities
The former Bateman’s buildings, now part of the University Of Notre Dame, are a group of warehouses constructed between the mid 1800’s and 1960’s. The area enclosed by these warehouses was later paved and landscaped to become Bateman’s Courtyard. The surrounding warehouses contain the main University Library, Law Library, Chapel and a number of other learning spaces.
Expansion of the main Library and resultant increased student numbers called for additional toilet facilities. An existing covered area adjacent to the library (the original loading bay of the 1960’s warehouse) was chosen as the location for the new amenities.
The design concept for the amenities facility strongly references the industrial aesthetic and feel of 1960’s warehouse, specifically the former loading bay. A large scale photo of the loading bay taken before its adaptive re-use is featured on the entry doors and is also framed by steel channels.
The Bateman’s Courtyard amenities transformed an underused corner of the courtyard and provide a necessary facility which utilises and conserves the existing building fabric whilst referencing the industrial aesthetic of Fremantle.