UNDA School of Medicine
D & J Fowler were prominent merchants in the late 1800's and early 1900's, and their office and warehouse building in Henry Street, Fremantle reflected their position. It is now owned by the City of Fremantle, and prior to UNDA taking over the lease, it was the workshop and showroom for the well known Fremantle Furniture Factory. It’s recycling to become the UNDA School of Medicine required the fitting of academic offices, a large 200 seat lecture theatre, teaching wards, a library, tutorial rooms and efficient circulation, containing stairs, lift and milling spaces.
The original Victorian ambience linked to the contemporary teaching spaces produces a special educational environment that is appreciated by students and staff. The recycling was extremely cost efficient, in the order of 60% of a new, equivalent facility. The building has high levels of heritage significance and those values have been conserved and enhanced by the new UNDA School of Medicine.